At the Board meeting held, 7-10 March, the following achievements of the Director General Dr Papa Abdoulaye Seck and the staff of the Africa Rice Center were applauded:
- Significant increase in contribution from member States
- Increase in the number of member States from 17 in 2006 to 22 in 2008
- Doubling of the Center’s budget compared to 2007
- Clear and coherent research agenda
- Progress in implementing External Program and Management Review (EPMR) recommendations
- The Director General’s participation at the UN Meeting on Millennium Development Goals in September 2008
It noted the Center’s active participation in the CGIAR change management process, while emphasizing its unique model as a pan-African intergovernmental institution.
It welcomed Dr Henri Carsalade as new Board member and sent a congratulatory letter to Dr Kanayo F. Nwanze, former Director General of the Africa Rice Center on his appointment as the President of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).